Monday, February 21, 2011

Back!

Sorry for the two-day absence, bloggees! My future in-laws were in town -- staying at our house, in fact -- which made a lot of things difficult or impossible, including writing up fiery diatribes about oppressed groups of people. Now that we have our house back, I can get back to Failbook.

And, I am surprised to note, there isn't much going on today. But I will say . . . .

Today's Failbook fail: Know Your Tool.

Someone does something stupid and comments, "yes i am retarded." Can we just stop that, please? I know it's tough. I know it's everywhere. I'm not defending its usage, but shit, when you hear something from most people you spend time with, it's hard to drop. (That's why I suspect casual usage of "crazy," as much as it pisses some anti-ablism activists off, is not going away.)

That being said, let's all agree to take a step in the direction of not using "retarded" as a synonym for "stupid." If you blurt it out, just say, "Excuse me, that was insensitive, I meant to say [stupid/thoughtless/lacking in intelligence/cockamamie/whatever]."

No comments:

Post a Comment